I’m sure we’ve all encountered a computer that is frustratingly slow and it drives us to our wits end. Here are the top 5 tips to consider to try before you a) throw it out the window or b) give your local computer technician a call for help.
Perhaps B should come before A!
1. ‘Control+ALT+Delete’ and check out your task manager. Consider what unnecessary programs are consuming resources and potentially slowing down your computer by viewing the ‘processes’, ‘performance’ and ‘start up’ tabs. You can disable any programs you may not need at launch by simply right clicking on it.
2. Clean up your registry with a great piece of free software called CCleaner – https://www.ccleaner.com/
You can download this light weight program, install it and use it to clear up all unwanted and old registry entries no longer required. Simply select the ‘registry’ tab and ‘scan for issues’ and follow the prompts.
3. Don’t have any anti-malware software on your computer? It’s time to grab a free copy of Malwarebytes (which we highly recommend – the premium paid version does even more) and run a scan of your computer to clean up any ‘nasty’ malware and files that shouldn’t be there. Download it here – https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
4. Check your computer’s operating system and software is up to date. Depending on the operating system you are running here are some simple guides to check you are up to date.
Update Windows 8.1
Update Windows 10
Update your Mac O/S
5. Tried all that and you’re computer is still running slow? If you’re running Windows 10 perhaps it’s time to take it back to factory state – just like you got it out of the box – with the inbuilt and easy to use Windows Reset feature. Ensure you back up all your files first and note all software you will need installed once completed and click here for the steps to complete a Windows Reset.
This was previously sent out to all our Local Computer Help members as part of our mailing list – https://mailchi.mp/localcomputerhelp/5-tips-to-make-your-computer-run-faster-for-free
Don’t miss out on great helpful articles like this by subscribing to our mailing list in the footer of our website!