There are so many choices with antivirus software on the market – which one do you choose?! Here’s a great article from Robert Bateman at Safety Detectives reviewing some of your best, and free, choices for antivirus in 2020.
Need more help? Local Computer Help can assist with choosing the right free or paid antivirus for your needs.
Some free antiviruses out there are actually malware designed to steal your private information. This is especially true for Windows because with so many users around the world, it’s the most popular target for viruses and other dangerous malware. That’s why it’s important that you don’t fall victim to one of these common scams and only download legitimate programs with a history of high-quality performance.
But with cybercrime rates on the rise, there are only a few free Windows antivirus applications available which actually offer decent PC protection. I’ve tested over 80 antivirus solutions to bring you a handful of free Windows antiviruses that are better than the rest.
While there is no such thing as a “free antivirus” with zero limitations, these 5 brands each offer a free plan which will help protect your PC. They are often pretty basic, but many are worth trying, and some are much better than Windows Defender — the default protection included with Windows.
Here’s a summary of best free Windows antiviruses for 2020:
- Avira: Overall #1 free antivirus for Windows for most users in 2020. Great technology which provides reliable antivirus and anti-malware protection.
- Panda: Exceptional antivirus technology, there are some nice extra features, and it comes with a free VPN!
- Sophos: The best free plan for families. Great interface with parental controls (up to 3 devices).
- AVG: Decent antivirus protection with a safe browsing extension.
- Avast: Comes with many extra features. But it has a lot of ads.